Friday, January 15, 2010

An Orbituary for 5th Aunt came late

Conflict
Aunt ; But mostly I think she shocked herself with her power of speech. She could only calm herself then with a trip to the kitchen sink, plowing her hands into dishes and dish-soiled water. (Internal)

Mother and her children (Pg 152, Their mother continually bewailed her lot – nine children, thirteen if you counted the dead babies, the endless chores, the drudgery.)(External)
Mother and husband( pg152 , The tight-lipped husband who positioned himself at the dinner-table-the-bed-out-the-front-door, who even she stopped simpering to when he opened his mouth and said “tea” or “hungry already”, and it then fell upon her to break the code.(External))
Aunt and her mother (pg152, When she was six years old, my aunt developed a bronchial cough that wonldnt go away even after weeks of murky, dark brews. The concoctions were so foul-smelling and bitter no amount of sugar could make them palatable. Don’t waste our sugar, her mother admonished, your brothers need the sugar for their school sandwiches. (External)

Climax
Resolution

Characters
1) Fifth Aunt
· Filial (pg 149 ,My aunt. She was in her fifties. She lived in my grandmother’s house.)

· Apologetic (pg149, One day she fell off her stool because she shifted her weight wrong, and she said, “ Oh sorry, oh sorry, I’m very clumsy.”)
· Un-feminine (pg150, She didn’t have a handkerchief tucked into the frog-buttons of her at-home top, so she wiped off her wet upper lip with her hand.
· Taciturn (pg150, My taciturn aunt, who didn’t speak.]
· Put others before herself (pg150, Who filled every soup bowl before her own.)

2) Narrator
· Disrespectful (pg149, She was my aunt but I didn’t make a point to be her niece)

· Had an air of nonchalance (pg 149-150, I suppose since I couldn’t be heard I didn’t try to think very much either.)

3) Grandmother
· Whiny (Pg 152, Their mother continually bewailed her lot)

· Traditional (prefer boys) (pg152, Don’t waste out sugar, her mother admonished, your brothers need the sugar for their school sandwiches.)

The most interesting segment is when..

No comments:

Post a Comment